11.17.2012

The Past, the Present, and some Thrifty Info for the Future (New Orleans best thrift shops)


Background:
Originally from an upper-middle class neighborhood in New Jersey, I grew up “keeping up with the Jones.”  We had very few thrift stores, not that I’d ever dare buy something used.  I’d heard stories from friends living in other areas about the fabulous finds hidden at stores like the Salvation Army and Goodwill, but had never seen them for myself and quite frankly wasn’t interested.  High priced department stores, like Bloomingdales and Nordstrom’s, were my haven; plus, how embarrassing would it be to buy something used?!   Looking back now, the thought and the money wasted during those years make me sick to my stomach.   These days when I travel home I’m always disappointed that I won’t be able to score an awesome find or catch a great deal at a store offering one of those specials thrift shoppers crave, a bag day or 50% off everything sale.

So What Changed?
When I moved to New Orleans everything changed.  The selection of department stores was limited; I remember asking myself how a city survives without a Bloomingdales.  At the same time, I started living off a college student’s budget and perpetually scheming ways to save or make money.   Luckily, I quickly found an answer: thrift shopping!  I started off small with trendy, chain resale shops like Buffalo Exchange and Plato’s Closet, but soon made my way down to where the real bargains lay at charity shops like Blooming Deals and the Salvation Army.  What started as an experiment became a lifestyle and nowadays, thrifting is not just the most economical way for me to shop, it’s my favorite way too. 

Top Choices:
      Thrift stores are everywhere down here and almost all of them are home to some amazing bargains.  Here are my top three in the area and some tips and tricks to score big!  (This list is by new means exhaustive of all the thrift store options New Orleanians have to choose from.) 


1.     The Salvation Army Family Store
The Salvation Army is my favorite place to thrift.  The store is packed full with amazing finds at great prices.  While my favorite finds are usually designer pieces at rock bottom prices, often new with tags, I’m constantly finding amazing vintage items in the bric-a-brac section.  Even better, every Wednesday the store offers all clothing at 50% off the ticketed price and all other items at 25% off!  I’m here about once a week.

2.     Bloomin' Deals
Bloomin' Deals is another amazing choice that’s close to home.  The store is run by the Junior League, which makes regular donations to the thrift store a membership requirement.  Although their prices are higher than some stores, their designer treasures make it worth it (..can you say Tory Burch Corduroy Blazer for $10?!).  This store is my favorite for finding great deals on suit sets for the office and pre-packaged gifts for a variety of occasions.  Twice a year they host a bag day, which is an experience like none other.  Participants pay $9 to fill up a 33-gallon garbage bag with anything in the store.  Shelves generally get cleared within 2-3 hours and the store takes 2 days to restock completely.  The week after always feels like Christmas with an entirely new selection of merchandise to shop from!

3.     Red, White, and Blue
Although a little farther from my house, this is one of those stores at which shopping becomes an all-day event and therefore is worth the drive.  Red, White, and Blue is housed in a giant warehouse in Harahan that contains anything and everything you can possibly think of.  This store is sorted by color with individually priced pieces usually a bit higher than other places.  However, something is on sale every single day.  They usually choose 2-3 colored labels to mark 50% off, but get lucky and you’ll walk in there on a day the entire store is 50% off!  They also have a senior sale every Wednesday where the whole store is 50% off for people over a certain age.


Ta Dahh!  So there you have it, my favorite thrift stores in the New Orleans area.  Make sure to take some time and explore, shop, and enjoy; especially if you’ve never thrifted before.  You’re sure to find something you’ll love, at a price retail could never beat!  Remember, thrifting is a great way to save on things like Holiday decorations and gifts as well!

Let me know what you think about this post.  
Leave a comment and tell me about your favorite thrift store!

~JSH

No comments:

Post a Comment